Key Points
- Jason Price, 29, of Wentloog Road in Cardiff, has been jailed for two years and eight months, also described as 32 months, after pleading guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm, non-fatal strangulation, threats with a bladed article, and controlling and coercive behaviour.
- The case relates to an attack on 29 August 2025, when a woman in her 20s attended Bedworth police station with bruises, scratches, cuts to her face and body, and a broken nose.
- The woman told police Price had attacked her at a house in Bedworth, threatened her with a knife, and strangled her.
- Price was arrested on 30 August 2025.
- Police later searched his van and found a knife that matched the victim’s description.
- He was sentenced at Warwick Crown Court on 12 May 2026.
- Investigating officer DC Rachael Stain praised the victim for coming forward and said the result should show victims of violence against women and girls that police will treat reports seriously.
Cardiff (Cardiff Daily) May 20, 2026 – A man from Cardiff has been jailed after pleading guilty to a violent assault on a woman in Bedworth, with police saying the case involved bruising, a broken nose, threats with a knife and non-fatal strangulation.
As reported by South Wales Police and investigating officer DC Rachael Stain, Jason Price, 29, of Wentloog Road in Cardiff, was sentenced to two years and eight months in prison at Warwick Crown Court after admitting assault causing actual bodily harm, non-fatal strangulation, threats with a bladed article and controlling and coercive behaviour. The case stems from an incident on 29 August 2025, when a woman in her 20s attended Bedworth police station with bruises, scratches and cuts to her face and body, along with a broken nose, after reporting that Price had attacked her at a house in Bedworth.
What did the victim report to police?
The woman told officers that Price had threatened her with a knife and strangled her during the attack. Police said the account led to Price’s arrest the following day, on 30 August 2025. A search of his van after the arrest uncovered a knife that matched the description given by the victim.
The details recorded by police indicate that the case was treated as a serious domestic or interpersonal violence matter because it involved both physical injuries and allegations of coercive and controlling behaviour. The charges to which Price pleaded guilty covered assault occasioning actual bodily harm, non-fatal strangulation, threats with a bladed article and controlling and coercive behaviour.
How was the case brought to court?
Price was brought before Warwick Crown Court after the police investigation and later entered guilty pleas. On 12 May 2026, the court imposed a custodial sentence of two years and eight months, which is equivalent to 32 months. The sentencing came after the victim’s evidence and the police investigation supported the case against him.
The sequence of events began with the woman’s report on 29 August 2025, followed by Price’s arrest on 30 August 2025, and then the search of his van, which produced the knife described by the victim. The court then dealt with the matter nearly nine months later, reflecting the time often required for investigation, charging decisions, guilty pleas and sentencing.
What did the officer say?
DC Rachael Stain, the investigating officer, said the victim had shown courage in reporting the attack. She said it was a “brave act” for the victim to come forward and describe what had happened, particularly because of the severity of the assault.
DC Stain also said the victim had been “incredible all the way through this process” and should be proud for having the strength to see the case through to the end. She added that the outcome should help reassure other victims of violence against women and girls that police will take reports seriously and act against perpetrators.
Why does this sentence matter?
The sentence is significant because it includes offences linked to serious violence, including non-fatal strangulation and the use or threat of a bladed article. In UK policing and criminal justice, such offences are treated with particular gravity because they can indicate escalating violence and a higher risk of harm to victims.
The case also highlights how police and courts handle allegations where physical violence is combined with coercive and controlling behaviour. That matters because such behaviour can be part of a wider pattern of abuse rather than a one-off incident.
Background of this development
This case sits within wider efforts by police forces and courts across the UK to respond more firmly to violence against women and girls. Non-fatal strangulation has increasingly been recognised as a serious offence because it can leave little visible injury while still posing a major risk to life and long-term health.
The case also reflects the importance of victim reporting in domestic abuse and assault investigations. In this case, the victim’s decision to attend Bedworth police station with injuries gave officers an immediate account to act on, which then led to the arrest and later conviction.
Prediction for the audience
For victims and survivors, this case may reinforce the message that reporting serious assault can lead to police action and a court outcome. DC Stain’s comments suggest investigators want victims to see that such allegations are taken seriously and can be followed through to prosecution.
For the wider public, the case may be seen as another example of how courts are treating knife threats, strangulation and coercive conduct as serious criminal behaviour. For police and safeguarding services, it is likely to remain part of the broader emphasis on early intervention, victim support and stronger responses to domestic and interpersonal violence.
